Alzheimer's Society reaction to Queen's Speech
Published 9 May 2012
The Queen's Speech today outlined the government’s plans to introduce a draft Care and Support Bill within the next year.
This draft bill, it is claimed, would set out how the government would modernise care and support law to ensure local authorities fit their services around the needs, outcomes and experience of people; build on the personal budgets agenda; simplify the laws around social care; and improve the way people get information about what they're entitled to.
Alzheimer's Society comment:
'The draft bill suggests real progress can be made. But we still have no definitive timeframe for when the millions of people being put at risk by the current crumbling system will get the fair deal they desperately need. Consultation is important but it can't become a delay tactic. Action is needed now to support the most vulnerable in society.'
'Underfunding of social crisis must be at the heart of reform yet this still isn't being addressed. Millions of people - including people with dementia - are being stripped of their savings. We are also in danger of bankrupting the NHS as more people reach crisis point. There is no time to wait.'
- Ends -
Notes to editors:
- One in three people over 65 will die with dementia
- Alzheimer's Society research shows that 800,000 people in the UK have a form of dementia, more than half have Alzheimer's disease. In less than ten years a million people will be living with dementia. This will soar to 1.7 million people by 2051
- Alzheimer's Society champions the rights of people living with dementia and the millions of people who care for them
- Alzheimer's Society works in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
- Alzheimer's Society supports people to live well with dementia today and funds research to find a cure for tomorrow. We rely on voluntary donations to continue our vital work. You can donate now by calling 0845 306 0898 or visiting alzheimers.org.uk
- Alzheimer's Society provides a National Dementia Helpline, the number is 0845 300 0336 or visit alzheimers.org.uk
Contact the Press team
+44 (0) 20 7423 3595
Press release RSS feed
- Alzheimer's Society press release feed
- Alzheimer's Society responds to G8 Summit Communiqué
- £100 million committed to dementia research in next decade: Alzheimer’s Society make long-term funding promise to tackle dementia
- The forgotten condition: Video shows dementia treatments fall a generation behind cancer