Panorama on abuse of person with dementia: Alzheimer's Society comment
Published 23 April 2012
Today (Monday 23 April), Panorama will broadcast a report on the abuse of a person with dementia in a care home in Kentish Town, London.
The report is based around footage filmed on a hidden camera which shows a staff member striking a woman with Alzheimer's. Her daughter, concerned that she was being mistreated at Ash Court care home, hid the camera in her mother's room. The staff member has since been sentenced to 18 months in prison.
Alzheimer's Society comment:
'Any case of abuse against a person with dementia is absolutely appalling. The most vulnerable people in our society should be treated with respect and dignity.'
'Our care system in the UK is broken and underfunded. In this context, it is not surprising that there is sometimes inadequate support and abuse. We need to have a debate on how to ensure appropriate care is in place for people with conditions such as dementia. We also need a regulatory system in place focused on supporting care homes to actively improve standards.'
- Ends -
Notes to editors:
- One in three people over 65 will die with dementia
- Alzheimer's Society research shows that 800,000 people in the UK have a form of dementia, more than half have Alzheimer's disease. In less than ten years a million people will be living with dementia. This will soar to 1.7 million people by 2051
- Alzheimer's Society champions the rights of people living with dementia and the millions of people who care for them
- Alzheimer's Society works in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
- Alzheimer's Society supports people to live well with dementia today and funds research to find a cure for tomorrow. We rely on voluntary donations to continue our vital work. You can donate now by calling 0845 306 0898 or visiting alzheimers.org.uk
- Alzheimer's Society provides a National Dementia Helpline, the number is 0845 300 0336 or visit alzheimers.org.uk
Contact the Press team
+44 (0) 20 7423 3595
Press release RSS feed
- Alzheimer's Society press release feed
- £100 million committed to dementia research in next decade: Alzheimer’s Society make long-term funding promise to tackle dementia
- The forgotten condition: Video shows dementia treatments fall a generation behind cancer
- Cases of dementia to double in Western Europe by 2050