Research application process
Our research programme funds high-quality peer reviewed research, across the spectrum of cause, cure, care and prevention of all forms of dementia. Applications should be in line with our research strategy.
Funding is available for research carried out at an academic institution or clinical department in the UK. Lead applicants must be based in the UK.
How do I apply?
Alzheimer's Society accepts applications for all types of research grants via an online grant application platform where potential applicants should set up an account. Registered applicants will then be able to view and apply to grant rounds that are currently accepting applications. Applications will open approximately three months before the closing date.
- To view information about our upcoming grant rounds, visit alzheimers.org.uk/researchfunding
- To apply for funding via our online platform, visit grants.alzheimers.org.uk
- For support preparing your application, visit our resources for scientists page
- If you are interested in partnering with Alzheimer's Society on a research project, but are not seeking funding from the Society, then visit our partnerships page
- Any queries should be directed to email@example.com
How do we decide which research to fund?
All applications received will undergo scientific peer review and lay review by our Research Network volunteers. Scientific peer review ensures that applications funded are of high merit and quality, robustly designed and that the applicants are qualified to deliver the project as outlined.
The Research Network volunteers prioritise research to ensure we fund research that will benefit people with dementia and their carers. All applicants must provide a lay summary of their proposed research to enable volunteers to score its relevance.
Once applications have been through scientific peer review and lay review they are then considered by our Grant Advisory Boards. The boards aim to make funding recommendations to the Society within six months of the application closing date.
The application funding process
1. Development of research idea
Volunteers may participate in grant writing and ideas workshops, and are consulted on their priorities for research.
2. Researchers submit grant application to Alzheimer's Society
Check Our Grant Rounds page for grant information and deadlines.
3. Grant application review and selection processes
4. Delivery of research project
5. Publication and implementation
Sign up for updates on our funding opportunities in Biomedical and Care, services and public health research
Our Research Network volunteers help prioritise, monitor and disseminate the research that we fund
Browse our current and past research projects and meet our funded scientists
Go to our For Researchers homepage
Visit Talking Point and take part in the discussions